Wednesday, 4 April 2012

Ginkgo Tea (TeaSpring)

When I was a small child, I wanted to be a paleontologist. I had all the books on dinosaurs, and gingko biloba always featured in them as part of the environmental motif. To this day, in my mind, it's a "dinosaur plant", which would make this dinosaur tea. Look, just humour me on this.

The leaves are a dark forest green and look a fair bit like tea leaves, though the aroma in the bag has a strong herbal and nutty aroma, very "Chinese medicine".

The liquor is a dingy gold with an earthy aroma with an edge of haw fruit underneath. The taste is musty and herbal, with a slight suggestion of sweet fruits, haw and lemon underneath. There's a medicinal aftertaste with a bitter note.

I've been trying to look up some hard evidence over whether ginkgo is actually a stimulant, but most websites I'm finding are more into the hippy-dippy "drink a cup of this and it'll cure your asthma and alzheimers!" I guess I'll have to do my own testing, see if it'll get me up and going in the morning.

Ginkgo Tea at TeaSpring

4 comments:

  1. I would like to say that this blog really convinced me, you give me best information! Thanks, very good post.

    Fruit tea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!
    I've taken to mixing my ginkgo with lemongrass, it actually tastes quite nice, in a "Chinese medicine" kind of way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know much about gingko, and I have yet to research it at all. Maybe I can get back to you about it. I will say, if you clean off the terrible-smelling fruits, the nuts inside them are quite tasty. My dad sometimes cleans them outside our house (too foul-smelling to bring indoors) and then cooks the nuts up...they're delicious, pleasing in texture, and quite mild in flavor. So I do rather like the plant these leaves come from!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gingko can be used as a blood thinner. Also I have had good results over long term usage for helping with Tinnitus.

    ReplyDelete