Wednesday, 14 November 2012

Black Pekoe (Gorreana Tea)


I'm trying to diversify a bit from Chinese teas, so when I found the only tea grown in Europe, I jumped on it! There's a bit of a catch here, it's not from the European mainland - Gorreana Estate is on the Azores. The Azores are technically part of Portugal, but they're islands way out in the mid-Atlantic, pretty much halfway to Newfoundland! Frankly, I think that makes this tea's origin even more interesting.


This pekoe is a second-flush black tea, with large dark twisted leaves. There are a few twigs and broken leaves in there, but the leaves look quite nice and have a honeyed raisin aroma.


The liquor is a deep, ruby mahogany with a slightly sulphuric aroma of plums and honey. The taste is similar to a Ceylon black tea, with a slightly floral vanilla sweetness. There's very little astringency and a fresh and bright aftertaste. It's really quite nice and pleasant, and very good quality - I'd definitely like to try some of their other teas!

Black Pekoe at Gorreana Teas

2 comments:

  1. How fascinating. I've never heard of this place before but their tea sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had always assumed that there would have been some sort of small-scale tea cultivation on the European mainland (sort of like how there's some in United States), so I was surprised to find out that it's only in the Azores!

      And yeah, it's definitely a lot better quality than I was expecting!

      Delete