Friday, 29 March 2013

2013 First Flush Organic Premium Green (Mauna Kea Tea)


Mauna Kea Tea is one of the few tea plantations growing in the United States (most American tea is unsurprisingly grown in Hawaii). Last year, I got to try their 2012 First Flush of this same tea, which was fantastic, now we'll see how this year's offering stands up!


The leaves a beautiful long handmade curls, dark forest grey-green with fuzzy white tips, darker than last year. They have a light vegetal aroma with a roasted grass edge.


The liquor is a pale yellow jade with a sweet vanilla cream aroma with a slightly roasted edge, almost like a very light green milk oolong.

The first sip is incredible, sweet, buttery vanilla but with clear, crisp green grass, orchids and lilacs and slightly roasty tall prairie grass. There's a slightly mineral anise note, probably from the volcanic soil, in the aftertaste which adds even more depth.


It's a bit deeper and more oolong-like than last year's first flush, both delicate and complex, and it's an absolutely incredible tea.

2013 First Flush Organic Premium Green at Mauna Kea Tea

6 comments:

  1. Glad to see you got to try some of their first flush teas, it definitely is a treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't help myself when it's first flush season! :D

      Delete
  2. Hello! I've just come across your blog through r/tea and I'm very much enjoying your thoughtful reviews. Looking forward to your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! That means a lot to me.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the review! I think this is a definite must-try! I'm on the hunt for a great tea out there and maybe this Mauna Kea Tea is the one for me. Wish me luck! If not, I will stay tuned to your blog for other tea reviews. :)

    Consuela Vanantwerp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I hope you stay tuned even if you do like it!

      Delete